New this season! Additions to the Park Use Terms and Conditions for Camping and ATV use.
New this season!
While you are enjoying the NWT’s many parks and campgrounds, we’re working to keep them running safely and smoothly. This season there are additions to the park rules for Camping and ATV use.
Camping and Accommodations:
The following terms will be included on the Camping Permit for the 2023 season (to view the complete list of the Terms and Conditions for park use please visit: https://www.nwtparks.ca/terms)
- The minimum age is 16 to obtain a campsite permit, group camping permit or sleeping accommodation permit.
- Regarding No-shows; Reservations will be held until 1:00 pm the day following the scheduled arrival date. If the reservation holder does not arrive by this time and notice of a late arrival is not provided, the reservation will be cancelled, and the site will be released. Arrangements for late arrivals can be made directly with the campground by phone, e-mail or in person.
Implementing a minimum age to obtain overnight permits is considering the well being of visitors, staying unsupervised in the parks. Previously there was no age restriction.
NWT Parks recognizes that offering fair and equitable availability of campsites to the public in a consistent manner is fundamental to the operation of the Parks. With increasing demand for campsites from both the travelling and intra-territorial visitor, the provision addressing No-shows will provide additional access to campsites, when there is a requirement to do so. NWT Parks will guarantee reservations, provided there is notice to the Campground Operator of a late arrival. The NWT Parks cancellation policy applies to all no-shows.
The following conditions will be included on the Special ATV Permit for the 2023 season:
- The operator shall be at least 14 years of age.
- The operator shall;
- hold a valid driver's licence issued under the Motor Vehicles Act or under the laws of another jurisdiction; or
- be under the immediate supervision of the holder of a valid driver's licence.
3. An operator is under immediate supervision when, at all times;
- the operator is able to see the supervisor;
- the supervisor is able to see the operator; and
- the supervisor is able to provide immediate verbal or visual direction to the operator.
The addition of a supervision requirement for ATV operators who meet the minimum age requirement (14 years) but do not hold a valid driver’s license addresses the safety of both ATV operators and nearby campers as well as the protection of the environment by making sure ATV operators have a general awareness of the rules for motor vehicle operation or can easily receive direction from someone who does.